Friday, November 11, 2011

Happy Veterans Day!

So, today is Veterans Day in the US.  What should be a day of honoring those who have served our country, most of the good American Citizens see it as another day off and will shop all sorts of retail sales at HUGE department stores.  I've decided to boycott the sales, but will be heading to the grocery store later.  I'm going to Price Chopper, who is giving Veterans free donuts and coffee.  Hey, its a start, right?

I would like to thank a few people.  There is no way I can mention every veteran I know.. because I know too many.  But I thank you all for your service, and what you've done to keep me free to blog, among other things.  The first is Artie Mennig, the hottest damn Marine I've ever met.  He was also the first guy to ever give my big brother, Les, a black eye, so he will always be my hero.  Even before he was a Marine, he was a gentleman, and will always me by high school crush.  There is also Peter Quirk, who served in the Navy, and tells me stories of Antarctica, where my Dad was also stationed. There is also Paul Browne, who also served in the Navy, and sent me a picture of him on his ship, with Egypt in the background.  Probably the closest I'll get to any foreign country besides Canada.  

There are many others who have touched me, but none as much as my Dad, CWO4 Robert B Dunlap, PA & SOB.  I believe he is the reason I've always been enamored with the military.  I'd like to tell you a few things you may not know about him.  When he'd introduce himself to the new arrivals to Camp Upshire in Quantico, VA, he was nice enough to tell them that they could call him "Mr."  He had a unique sense of humor... except at 0-dark-30 when Les screamed through the house "MR FANN IS DEAD" after our neighbor fell on the icy porch.  

Mr. Dunlap never received a college degree, but was one of the best Physician Assistants in the world.  Ok, I may be exaggerating.  But when George Washington University graduated their very first Physician Assistants class, my Dad was there.  I have the newspaper article somewhere, if you need proof.  He also made huge advancements in the treatment of heat induced illnesses, which led to life saving measures for new recruits who train in the southern heat. 

My dad was not perfect.  None of us are.  Its really hard to forgive him for some things.  The hardest to forgive is for having to watch him eat a peanut butter and mayo sandwich.  Or the smell of cigarettes and CloseUp toothpaste that never left the bathroom.  Or knowing he could have taken us to live in Hawaii, but didn't want to do 4 more years in the Navy. 

But Veterans Day is mainly to celebrate our living Vets.  So, do something today to say thank you.  Buy a Vet a cup of coffee.  Give a lonely Vet a call to say "HEY!!".  Aww, shucks, run up to one and give 'em a great big hug and kiss!!!!!  Except Artie, he's mine.  <grin>

1 comment: