Sunday, June 30, 2013

Where is the Good News?

It has been an interesting week here in Central New York.  Mainly because of weather.  More specifically, Rain.  Places that have never flooded before are flooding now, and I'm having problems and issues.

See, a friend of mine with MS left for work, and wasn't allowed to return home.  And she couldn't get her medications.  And these are Meds that just don't hang out at the local Rite Aid, they are specially ordered and sent from a specialized MS Medication place.  I love it when I learn something new, but I really wish I THIS fact wasn't a fact I picked up.  Well, she finally DID get into her house and was able to grab her meds, but she was also able to find out that her house isn't completely ruined...  the water hasn't hit the 1st floor!  She has a friend, however, who wasn't so lucky.  Kevin, his unnamed fiance, and their newborn daughter have lost everything.  Can you imagine that?  I can't and it breaks my heart.  Help the Unknown Fiancee

There are so many people who are going to be hurting from this.  See, when you life in a flood plain, you have to have flood insurance to get a mortgage.  When you don't KNOW you live in a flood plain, you just don't have flood coverage.  So, when this happens, you are screwed.  It kind of makes me want to get a flood rider on my policy, even though I live on a BIG will with a sloped yard that, if ever flooded, would cause a beautiful waterfall onto I81!  So, people will come together to help their neighbors.

The Madison County Habitat for Humanity released the following:
 Many residents from the city of Oneida have been devastated by flooding this week. Madison County Habitat for Humanity will be organizing volunteers to help with clean up. Anyone looking to help please call us at 510-5665.  More details will be coming soon.
So, here I am, I have LOTS of time on my hands, this is an awesome civics lesson for Cassie, and I can't help.  MEANWHILE, my sister just posted another fundraiser to help me get the money I need for my surgery.  And there is almost $2000 in the original one.  But do you know how hard it is to ask for help when there is so much more going on in this world?   And I'm only talking about the flood.  I have friends who have loved ones fighting for their lives in hospitals, as well as friends who are fighting to keep homes and families together through financial and other hardships.  Part of me wants to pull all the fundraising, 'cause it is almost embarrassing.  The other part of me just wants Jay Z, Madonna, and a few football players who haven't committed murder to see it and put an end to it.  <sigh> I guess I've just had a very humbling week, and I needed to get some of this off my chest.  I promise to lighten up tomorrow.  Maybe I'll even get a video of Marley and I singing and dancing together.  Any requests?

2 comments:

  1. any requests? just use your "inside voice". don't want to scare the people down the block ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHA But Marley doesn't HAVE an inside voice!! Thats why the Liverpool Dog Warden had to visit us once!!

    ReplyDelete