Friday, June 22, 2012

Today I am 45.

Today is my birthday.  At 5:56am I turned 45.  I hate birthdays.  I hate getting over.  I feel this is the birthday that marks the milestone that my life is 1/2 over.  <pout>  its very sad.  very sad.  But I could be wrong.  I could die tomorrow in a horrific tree cutting accident.  That is even sadder because, with the exception of 3 wonderful children, I really have nothing to show for it.

Birthdays haven't always sucked.  I remember my 6th birthday.  My mom took me and a bunch of friends to see Cinderella in the movie theater.  We didn't do movies or parties very often, and this was HUGE for me!! Oh, by the way, I AM Cinderella.  The person who wrote "Wicked" also wrote a book about the alternate story of Cinderella. I will NOT read this for fear of realizing I'm, I mean Cinderella, isn't as innocent as I thought.  But I digress.  We are talking birthdays.  For some reason, I also correlate getting my EasyBake Oven on this day, but I could be mistaken.


Birthdays started sucking when I turned 16.  I had an AWESOME surprise 16th Birthday, thrown for me by my very well meaning friends.  But, see, it has always been hard to surprise me, and I started picking up on something being wrong a few weeks before.  They started treating me different and I thought I was losing my best friend.  Then my mom took me to the mall to buy me a pair of Manisha pants.  You probably don't know what these were, but they were HUGE in my school and I was excited to actually wear something in style.  But, me being who I am, I got Hawaiian shirts, too.  hehehhehe  I've always had my own fashion style!  On the way to the mall, I saw Christine and Cathy in the car together and felt like an outcast.  It's MY birthday, and they were too busy to spend it with ME!!!  I felt like an idiot on my return, as they all (including a friend, Jimmy, who rode his bicycle from Utica to Clayville) jumped out and yelled "Happy Birthday"!!!!  This was one of the 2 true happy surprises that people have ever pulled on me.  I'm still mad and love Christine for it.

I remember spending my 24th Birthday working at the drag race strip with my ambulance partner.  He handed me a container of Pringles Sour Cream & Onion potato chips and said "Happy Birthday".  I proceeded to cry for an hour, babbling about how my life sucked and I didn't see it getting any better.  So I made some changes and spent my 25th birthday in the hospital with my brand new baby girl, now being a single mom of 2 kids.

My 30th was full of mixed feelings.  My friends gave me a small, intimate gathering that I attended after dropping my kids off at the airport to go to Texas to visit their biological father for the summer.  That was an interesting summer.  I had a nervous breakdown.

The next birthday that stands out was my 33rd.  I just had yet another beautiful baby girl.  Steve, my awesome son, and his friend Mike brought me a birthday cake they bought at Stewarts.  That was one of the few cakes I've gotten as an adult.  Which is sad, because we all know how much I love CAKE!!!  Then there was my 40th.  I did get flowers... from a friend who lived in Rochester.  Then I spent the evening arguing with Pitman, through text messages, because he went to the race track to "help with a buddy's car".

I was SUPPOSED to have a party last year... but I wont go into that one.  But here I am, 45.  I really wish there were no birthdays.  Just like school dances, Valentines Day, proms and weddings, we are seasoned to have all sorts of beliefs that they are somehow magical.  They aren't.  They are just another day, even though you may or may not get presents and CAKE!!!!  I think that's the whole thing.  Cake.  There is something about cutting into something sweet and delicious with your name on it.  I think the CAKE is the secret to happy birthdays.  Do your loved ones a favor and make sure they get a cake every year on their birthday!!!!  But if you're going to invite me, please stay away from the fondant.  Yes, it looks pretty but I like the thick sicky sweet frosting!!   I think I will stop on my way home from galivanting with my mom and buy myself a cake!!!!  Happy Birthday to ME!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. By all means, get yourself a cake! Oh, and happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope you were able to get your cake! Just remember... having no birthday would be a lot worse! Try to enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete