Thursday, June 14, 2012

Been a while..... again.....


So, in case there are one or two people that do not know this, I suffer from Bi-Polar disorder.  I'm open to discuss this at any time.  I'm tired of the stigmas and the bias against mental illness and refuse to have that aspect held against me.  I've actually had people be more open and accepting of Gays, Homophobes, and even democrats than they are of us mentals.  But, there you have it.  One of the problems is when I'm very down, or very up, I can seem to get to my blog.  So, I'm writing this because I'm tired of people hollering at me for not blogging.  Oh, please don't STOP hollering if I stop blogging!!!  Its really the best form of therapy that I have.... and it shows me that people miss me when I disappear!!

I'm also homeschooling, in case you forgot.  This week has been a homeschooling bust.  But, I have a year (starting July 1st) to get Cassie through 7th grade curriculum, so I'm not worried.  When I mentioned to my mom that this week is a bust, she says "But are you following the standards?"  That made me realize that people really do not understand what it takes to be a home schooler.  My standards?

For grades seven and eight: English (two units); history and geography (two units); science (two units); mathematics (two units); physical education (on a regular basis); health education (on a regular basis); art (one-half unit); music (one-half unit); practical arts (on a regular basis) and library skills (on a regular basis). The units required herein are cumulative requirements for both grades seven and eight.

Cassie and her new Swim Suit!
There you have it.  I have to school her for 990 hours on what you read there.  Oh, if you search harder, you find that the history & geography is NYS history and constitution, and US history and constitution.  I still cant figure out the science, and the math is basically just continue to practice and master what she's been doing for the past few years.  English?  Read everything and write it about it.  There you have it.  Home schooling.  So far we found we love field trips.  They can fall into so many different categories!!!  For instance, we did a LOT of math and life skills on Tuesday and Wednesday, when we went shopping to spend her gift cards.  She even learned how to make an exchange!!!!  And I also found out she's a bargain hunter like her mom.  That's how she walked out of Penny's with a 2 piece swimsuit and a kick ass dress for $40!!!!

Gert and her Hat
But, I really couldn't figure out how to work in today's field trip to pick berries.  When my Mom's best friend, Gert (actually Marilyn, long story.....) showed up wearing a wonderful hat, going on about how she bought a bottle of water and took a wrong turn which is why she was late (and being she was only about 5 minutes late, that is actually EARLY for her....), I realized there was no way.  We saw berries, weeds, a baby slug, and more rear-ends of older chunky women than I want to remember myself.  But, my Mom tried to support my homeschooling agenda.  "Hey, Cassie, this is how they did it in the Colonial Days!  See, they didn't have stores they could go in to buy their food, they had to grow it themselves!"

Mom, stuck on her
Berry Picking Bucket.
I really should support my mother when she tries to support me.... but I couldn't.  I was tired, sore, the sun was on my back, and my mouth opened and out came "That's right.... they went to the local "U-Pick" and got them there!!!"  Boy, did I get in trouble for that one.....  But I have it all under control.  We talked about her vocabulary words on the way home.....  and she got 2 of them mixed up and tried to spell "Hipponerous."  That's when I decided that a useless week every once in a while is ok.  And I'm also wondering if a week long marathon of "Glee" can be counted as "Music".......

1 comment: