Monday, August 20, 2012

For Crying Out LOUD!! Be Specific!!!

Life is back to normal... as normal as it can be here in the Pitman Richards household!  So, before her injuries, Cassie surfed the internet (research) for healthy snacks (health and nutrition) and found some smoothie recipes (home ec) that she wanted to try.  So we bought some ingredients when we went grocery shopping (life skills and math). The bananas were very green, so I told her to jump on the computer and find out how to ripen them faster (research).  She found out if we place them in a brown paper bag with an apple and wait 24 hours (social skills -waiting) that they would ripen (science).

So today she decided she'd waited long enough, pulled out the bananas which, thanks to science, were ripe!!!  So she proceeded to follow the recipe (reading), measure (math) everything out, and put it in the blender (home ec).  She then asked and adult (me) to help with the instruction on how to use a blender (home ec.)  She then poured it into two glasses, while I continued to promote good self esteem by telling her how good it looked and smelled.  (it was even PINK!!!)  And then came the most common mistake made when it comes to dealing with those on the ASD spectrum.

"Hey, Cass...  can you do me a favor and fill it with water?"  

"SURE, MOM!!!  It needs to be cold water, though!!"  

So I then turn to look at her, to ask why it needs to be cold water, and stop short.  It needed to be cold water that she was putting in MY SMOOTHIE, probably so it would stay cold.  <sigh>  Well, she thought it through, and quite quickly.  The problem came when I didn't notice when I asked her to put some water in it, that she was holding my glass.  She had no clue I meant IN THE BLENDER!!!!!  <sigh>  But, like I said, its a very common issue.  Another homeschooling mom posted the following just before I started this:  
‎"Color each rectangle blue. Then, draw a happy face on each circle." 
Blue rectangles...check.
Three happy faces sitting over top of, but not ON, three circles...check.
See?  I'm not the only one!!  The kid did exactly what it read, just as Cassie did exactly as she was told!!!  Dealing with Auties is like dealing with the Genie who gives out those three wishes...  You need to be careful how you word it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment