Saturday, August 25, 2012

I Can't Believe This is Still Going On!!

So, I finally finished canning the tomatoes from Tomato Torture Day 2012.  I ended up with 7 quarts of Stewed Tomatoes and 7 quarts and 1 pint of Spaghetti Sauce.  We had the pint for dinner tonight.  Rob is right... it IS Awesome Sauce!!  As per request from my mother, who either blessed me or cursed me with all these tomatoes, I have taken a picture of the end products.  Here it is:

Bounty from Tomato Torture Day 2012

Wow.  It was more impressive when I was mopping the sweat of my brow, peeling for 4 hours and then the making, stewing, and canning the crap.  <sigh>

But, you must remember, I have been doing tomatoes almost all month!  The tortuous marathon day was the 2nd batch of tomatoes my Mom gave me.  Its just the first delivery was in different stages of ripeness, so I was able to take my time.  Each time, peeling only took an hour, and I would turn that into either sauce or stewed tomatoes.  But, I was able to go at a very leisurely pace.  I like leisurely paces.  That is why I am the queen of puttering!!!

So, to give you an idea of what has really been going on here, between naps, of course, I gathered all my tomatoes and took another picture.  And here is that one:

My jars of tomatoes, as of 8/25/12
What you are looking at is 21 Spaghetti Sauce and 12 Stewed Tomatoes.... I know this because I just asked Rob how many of each one he counted 2 hours ago, and he told me.   <sigh>  Damn Autistic Men.  ANYWAYS, the total is 33.  The idea of canning your own food is to feed your family during the lean winter months.  Well, as long as my family doesn't mind tomatoes every other day, we should be set.

The most important reason I like to can, and make as much as possible from scratch, is because you never know where that hand has been.  You know, the hand of the person canning your food.  And what if they sneezed?  There are certain things I can NOT think about when I eat.  I love liver, but when I think of the function of that particular origin, I can't eat it.  Same with Catfish.  So, I'm allowed to think when I eat stuff I've made or, in this case, canned!!!  Oh, and if I give you one, don't worry.  I can guarantee that I washed my hands and no bodily fluids entered the items at any time!!!

So, why is it I can't believe that this is still going on?  Because while I was dealing with the mega-amounts of tomatoes donated to me by my loving mother (WHY DOES SHE PLANT SO MANY TOMATOES?!?!?!) I forgot one little thing.  I planted my OWN garden this year!!!!  As I write this, I have 15 tomatoes that need to have something done with.  And a bunch more green ones, that will ripen if the blight doesn't hit them!  I'm really starting to dislike tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment