Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Planning the Best Vacation, EVER!

So, a few years back, when LeeAnne was a Junior in High School, Robert and I decided it was time to take a real vacation.  We wanted to go to Disney World.  But we had to figure out if we could really do it.  We started planning this about the beginning of the year and decided we'd use our tax returns.  But, in case it fell through, I didn't want to tell the girls.  But, the nosy little buggers are worse than the CIA when it comes to spying.  They'd both make awesome detectives, too.  So, I had to tell them SOMETHING!!  So I told them Rob and I decided it was time for a family vacation.  Immediately they said they wanted to go to Disney.  I had to throw them off.  And it was easier than you'd think it would be.

"Oh, you guys are so funny!!!  Like we'd get enough back from tax returns to do THAT!!!"  Yes, they looked crestfallen, but that didn't stop them from whining.  "But don't worry, I'm THE MOM, remember?  I'll come up with something amazing!  Just wait and see!!!"

If you've ever had a Mom say those words when you were a teen, you know you are about to be let down and your life, from now on, is over.  Ruined.  Mom's suck.  I know this, and I played on it.  So, as we were getting closer to realizing the dream of taking them to Disney, we had more Vacation Pow-wows, and the girls got suspicious again.  So, I called a family meeting and instructed Rob to sound excited about everything I said.  I know now why I had to say that, and I'm so thankful he played around, jumping in an adding crap to it.  And I unveiled the plan for our Family Vacation!

"Rob and I have decided its time to explore the mid-western United States!!!  We will start this year in Ohio, the Buckeye state!!  It's going to be so cool!!  We will take the camper and camp at a few different camp grounds.  We'll get to see how life was in the "old days" and actually get to work on a farm!!  They let you hay fields, tend crops, feed the animals, muck their stalls, and milk the cows!!!  We get to SLOP A HOG!!!!  And there are so many museums!!  The history of farm equipment, how crops go from a seed to the store, and we even get to tour an Automobile plant!!  We'll do that the same day we go to the Henry Ford Museum and learn about the invention of the car!!"

Of course, at this point my two GIRLS were about to vomit.  I think I really saw tears in LeeAnne's face.  "Isn't there at least an amusement park anywhere?"  "Oh, yes, LeeAnne, of course... but we'll be too busy to go.  I've been saving the best for last!!  They actually have the National Grass Museum!!!  This place is so great that they even took a camera, set it up and took pictures at set intervals and turned it into a movie!!!  We actually get to WATCH GRASS GROW!!!!"  and I adjourned the meeting.  hehehehe  We get to watch grass grow on our vacation!!  Because I was holding in my laughter, I came off as extremely excited.

Four days later, was Valentines Day.  They each opened up their cards which stated "Violets are Blue, Roses are Prickly, on June 17th, say "HI" to Mickey!!!"  And their dreams of watching grass grow were dashed, but they seemed ok with it.

The moral of this story?  Its always fun to screw with your kids.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! LOL

    My kids would actually love the other vacation though...minus the grass growing. Haha...

    ReplyDelete