Thursday, August 15, 2013

Canning Corn with my Mom

So, the other day I took the trek to visit my mom and help her with some canning.  If you aren't familiar with the term "Canning", it means taking produce in the summer and putting it in jars to eat in the winter.  And this is where the first issue comes into play.  Why do they calling "Canning" when you are putting the stuff in glass jars and not in cans?  Well, Cassie and I are starting a grass roots movement to change the term to "Jarring".  We'll keep you posted on how that goes.

Are you preparing corn
or are you happy to see me?  heheh
ANYWAYS, my trek served a few purposes, which is good because to feel normal, I must multi-task.  I got to visit with my Mom alone.  We both like that, and it happens so rarely.  She got some help with some of her work, and she got to see that I'm still fine and kicking.  She said it was so I would feel useful.  Heck, even on my most useless days, Pitman will tell you I'm STILL more productive than most people he knows!!!  Every once in a while we need to spend some time with our Mom's so they know we still love them.  BUT, it was worth it.  We had a LOT of fun!!!

Bowl of corn.
I was afraid I'd be walking into a 27 bushel job... but she actually behaved herself, and it wasn't that many!  So, we sat outside and shucked the corn.  Then we went inside and cut the kernels off the cob.  I was really not looking forward to this part, but she got me a stool so I could sit high enough as not to make it hurt, AND she gave me a really sharp knife that cut the kernels off like slicing soft butter!!  Oh, and if you haven't done this before, the tip is to keep the stem on the bottom of the cob and stick it in a bundt pan.  Check out the pictures.  Then we had to put the corn in the jars (notice we put them in JARS, not CANS), covered in hot water, and put them in the pressure cooker.  Now, we didn't have enough jars, so she did end up putting some in the freezer.
CHILI!!!!!

I learned a lot that day.  First of all, its a lot easier just to freeze the corn.  But I can see where Mom is coming from.  She wants to keep room in the freezer for other stuff.  Second, the best part of helping Mom with stuff is that she feeds you!!!  I got chili for lunch!!!  AND some to take home!!  Chili isn't something I get very often, and when I do, its usually from my Mom!!  The third thing I learned is that "jarring" and putting up summer produce IS a lot more fun when you do it with someone else.
JARRED Corn!

I also learned that its hard work keeping "Favorite Child Status".  After spending the day with my mother, I have to admit I'm afraid of losing that designation.  I watched her and listened closely to her, and I'm afraid I might be being replaced.  See, she has this new dog who is outspoken, demanding, full of personality and cute as hell.  Yes, Lucy is a LOT like me, and I think I may have to step up my game a bit.  After all, Mom hasn't rubbed my tummy like she was rubbing Lucy's in quite some time.....
This is Lucy, and the reason
I feel my status in my
family is threatened. 



No comments:

Post a Comment