Tuesday, March 18, 2014

And she is STILL Autistic....

I got a HUGE reminder of the fact that Cassie is on the Autism Spectrum.  No matter how much I acknowledge this, I still get these reminders.  Sometimes they make me sad.  Sometimes they make me feel like I'm simply a bad parent.  Sometimes they make me feel like my child has some sort of death sentence.  And then we have mornings like today.  When they just make me laugh and enjoy my child.  Every "Autie" has a special interest (SI).  Rob's is sports.  I know of a 6 y/o who's SI is zombies, a 16 y/o has Scoobie Doo, a 10 y/o has numbers and colors, and our 47 y/o Autism Consultant's special interest is actually Autism.  Cassie?  Its complicated.  It started with teen Disney Channel shows and it has increased from there.  One of her shows is Pretty Little Liars.  She can tell you anything about the show, the characters, the actors, the creator, and the producer.  And their families and animals, especially dogs.  The more into the show, the more background on everything, including the location where it is shot and the props that are used.  Before you read the rest of this, please remember that this is a 13 1/2 year old.  She is NOT 8 years old, at least not chronologically. 

So this morning, the cast of Pretty Little Liars (PLL) were "Taking Over Good Morning America".  Well, they had a 3 minute interview spot that started at 8:38.  Cassie woke up, and woke me up, before 7am so we would be sure NOT to miss the show.  Do you realize exactly how long one hour and 38 minutes are?  Well, I dont think you do.  One hour and 38 minutes is actually two and a half days long.  Two and a half days worth of  GMA announching that they are "Coming up" and seven commercials for every little segment they do.

The Girls from Pretty Little Liars
Unable to fast forward through the commercials, Cassie was flopping herself around the living room hollering, "BUT THEY JUST HAD A COMMERCIAL!!!!! MOM!!!! ENTERTAIN ME!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!"  Then she paused the TV and waiting for a while, then fast forwarded it to the next segment.  More flopping, sighing, giggling "MAAAMMMAAAAAA!!!!  PPPLLLLEEEEAASEEEE  make them STOP!!!!" and she pauses it again.  Fast forward again.  "MMOOOMMYYYY  Lets talk!!!"  Ok, Cassie, what do you want to talk about.  "About how this is STUUPPPIIIDDD!!!!"  Do you realize how hard it was not to laugh at her when she came out with "THEY KEEP MESSING WITH MY MIND!!!! Mother!!! Call them and tell them to STOP messing with my MIND!!!!"
My Beautiful Little NON-Liar!!

I was truly ready to help her pick up the pieces of disappointment and anger over the fact that she got to see the cast for a total of 3 minutes.  But it never came.  She was insanely happy when it was over.  To her, it was almost like the anticipation of leaving for Disney, and after 3 minutes of an interview, she returned from Disney happy and refreshed, and ready for the next vacation!!!   


This is also why I'm a little jealous of my Auties.   Can you imagine how wondrous
life would be if we could all experience a magical Disney type vacation in just one hour and 41 minutes?

No comments:

Post a Comment