Monday, August 29, 2011

Oh, future, future, everyone calls you freckle...

So, I've talked a lot about many different things already.  Today we will be discussing Autism Spectrum Disorders.  One in particular.  The one that my Cassie has been diagnosed with.  Technically, its called PDD-NOS, but that just means she's Autistic, but wasn't diagnosed until later in life.  She was 10.  She is high functioning, but she doesn't have Aspergers because she had a severe speech delay called Apraxia.  That just means something gets screwed up between her head and her mouth.  This "disability", actually ALL her "disabilities" have been a huge source of humor and laughter in our house.

I must state here, the first of many times you will hear this, I am NOT going to win "Mother of the Year" anytime soon.  I find enjoyment torturing my children too much to even TRY for that.

So, along with Cassie having problems talking and processing information, she also has a problem reading.  She hates it.  How do schools handle children with reading problems?  Well they read in their normal class, then they get pulled out of class for special reading time.  Then they get sent home with the same "Read 1/2 hour and log it" assignment every day, including weekends.  Yep, THAT will help!!!  THAT will make them like it, whether they like it or NOT!!  Yeah, epic fail in my opinion.

So, we went to the library today (because she enjoys checking out books she'll never read and movies she does watch).  She took out the play version of "Romeo & Juliet".  Its a cool one that has both the Shakespeare AND regular "now a days" language.  She's been reading this, LOUDLY, since we got home.  I've gotten my daughter to read for 2 hours straight.  How do I know she's reading it?  Did I mention loudly?  Is she getting all the words right?  No.  But, because we are also watching a bloopers version of iCarly, she's laughing at her errors.  Oh, she just explained to her pretend cast mates that they need to "pause" rehearsal because she has to go to the bathroom real bad.

I think she'd do better in her reading group if they did more plays and less regular books.  I will be bringing this to BOTH her teacher's attention.  Thats what I do.  I find the best way to teach an individual kid, as unusual as it may seem, and let them learn without the pressure of thinking they have to learn.  

The movies she got?  Two Dr Seuss movies, one iCarly movie, and a "Find Spot" movie.  Yeah, Shakespeare, tween video and pre-school videos; one 11 year old little girl with an indefinite amount of interests and no embarrassment to keep herself from any of them.  Once again I find myself jealous of those on the ASD Spectrum! 

No comments:

Post a Comment