Wednesday, March 7, 2012

NT vs ASD - Marriage Wars

So, as everyone should know by now, my Robert is Autistic.  We found out about 6 months ago that he isn't the self-absorbed bastard I thought he was.  This has been a wonderful boost to our marriage.  Knowing that he has an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) really clarify's WHY he's a self-absorbed bastard and makes it easier to deal with and implement some "Behavior Modification".  So that is Cassie and Rob who are ASD, and I am what is considered NT, which is NeuroTypical.  That means I am normal.  hehehehehe  Yeah, RIGHT!  Cassie and Rob have their own little club and make sure I know I'm not in it.  On occasion, they let me join in, though.  I think its so my feelings wont be hurt.  Most of the time, though, its literally a NT vs ASD war zone around here.  It can be frustrating and overwhelming.  But I don't like that part of it, so I just laugh it off most of the time.  I used to win my battles with Robert by saying "Whatever" and walking away.  I now say "Your Autism is showing".... and walk away.

You also should know we are buying a house and are waiting for the closing date, which they believe will be on Friday.  This allows us to move into our new house on Saturday.  This leaves me 2 1/2 days to go to Kingston to get the money to close and to finish packing up the house.  Oh, and all the other things that comes with moving like getting electric, phone, tv, truck, etc.  So we are on crunch time, baby!!!

You probably also must remember we all recently had the stomach crud.  Yes, all of this is important to remind and explain to you before I get to the point.  Just bear with me.  So, when Pitman had the bug, he missed "testing for his yellow belt" in Karate.  He was so mad and upset because he didn't want to be stuck with a white belt for another month.  (Yes, this is my husband, not my 9 y/o son)  So I called his Sensei and explained, and they said he could test this week.  And since Robert has decided to continue, he has also earned a black gee to replace his white gee, that he got 6 months ago.  OOPS!!  I forgot to mention Jim.  Jim is a guy in Rob's class that started about the same time and is about the same age.  Jim got his black uniform first, and also earned his yellow belt while Pitman was home, in bed, whining and moaning about being all white.  So, Robert is expecting to get his yellow belt and his black gee tomorrow at karate.  I'm not sure, but somehow that slipped his mind while scheduling the week

So, we have everything scheduled out.  Today (Wednesday) we will go to Kingston and get the funds, then I will pack all day on Thursday and finish up on Friday.  We will close on Friday and move on Saturday.  So then he hits me with it.  One question that, a year ago, would have landed him in divorce court.  But, since I now know his mind works differently, and I have a tool box of skills to handle every situation, we can remain married.  "Honey? Can I ask you a question?"  Ok.  This tells me that he knows the answer will be no, but its important enough to him to at least try.  So I say "yeah."  He hesitates and goes on with "If I were to stop into the Dojo and pick up my new black uniform tomorrow (Wednesday), could you wash it and sew on the patches so I can wear it on Thursday night?"  I just look at him, mainly because I can't believe he just asked that.  So, he goes on, digging his hole deeper by adding "Or did you already pack all your needles and thread and thimble?"  Ok, so he remembers it has to be hand sewed and its not easy work, and I'm still staring.  I must not be shooting the daggers I'm feeling because he's still standing and waiting for a response.

"So, let me see if I understand what you are asking me.  You want me to finish packing up the whole house, make all the calls, and take a few hours out to wash and sew patches on your new gee so you look good on Thursday night? "  He agrees.  "I am now walking away so I do not kick you in the shin."  I decided to let him have the last word, ignoring him as he says "So is that a no?"

No comments:

Post a Comment