Thursday, March 1, 2012

Ahhhh... the true meaning of luxury...

I like to read.  When given the opportunity, and a book of decent substance, I can sit all day and do nothing else.  I've even been known to give up Facebook, stupid computer games, and chatting with my Mom all in the name of a good book.  Yeah, I know.  I sometimes come off superficial and kind of ditzy.  As a matter of fact, when mentioning something about a Robin Cook book I just finished, a guy I was "seeing" looked at me in amazement and said "You READ?!?!?"  <sigh>  ANYWAYS.... many years ago I read this book, I think it was kind of like a weird mystery surrounding the death of the Lady of the House, with lots of flash backs.  I wish I could remember the name, or even more details.  The one thing that sticks out to me is that the maid (who hated the woman) had to hand wash the "lady's" sheets and hang them to dry outside, daily, and remake the bed with fresh, line dried sheets.  Even in the middle of the winter when they actually did this freeze-dry thing.  I always said that would be me if I was ever rich enough to be eccentric!  There is nothing better in this world than clean, line-dried sheets.  I'm so looking forward to my new house because I'll get a clothesline and the first thing I'll do is wash & hang my sheets.

Yes, there is a point.  See, I was sick, so I washed my sheets yesterday.  Pitman helped me make the bed with the clean sheets and I was so looking forward to getting into bed last night.  "la la la  Popping bubbles!  Thinking about bed time!!  Clean sheets!!"  I was singing in my head like that all day!!  And, OH!!!  When I finally got in there.  mmmmmmm  so lovely.  Then it happened.  Robert got the bug.  So he's in the bathroom, doing his thing, and I'm laying in bed, thinking that its not as wonderful as it was a few minutes ago.  He decides to sleep in his chair (that there isn't room for in the living room) and I'm thinking if he's sick, Cassie wont be far behind.  She was showing signs of it before bed.  So, off I go to the couch.  

Do you know how much noise this house makes?  The battery operated analog clocks sing "tick-tick, tick-tock" for every second.  The cats are very loud, and ever sound they make causes Marley to start.  I know this because he is on the couch with me.  Actually, ON me, as is Roscoe.  And the only thing I could think of all night was my nice, freshly washed sheets laying on my bed that NOBODY is enjoying.  Now THAT is just a sin against nature.  

No comments:

Post a Comment