Friday, March 30, 2012

How DOES She DO That?

It's FRIDAY!  Time to hit the mail bags for another Q&A... even if my Mom said my last one sucked.  So, today we answer a question about my creative abilities.  

Q:  How do you know what to do when you decide you need to craft?  And why do you need a WHOLE Crap Room?

A:  First off, its a CRAFT Room, not a Crap Room.  And its really not just for crafts.  I have all this stuff because of the answer to the first question.  See, I never know when inspiration will hit, but it does.  And, with all great artists, when I get said inspiration, I must act on it.   Why?  Because I'm getting old and have been known to forget some AWESOME ideas that I'm certain would have cured Cancer or the Common Cold if I had just acted on it.  But I felt it would be easiest to walk you through a project, and maybe you'd get a better idea.  Through this little stroll, I will be able to teach you some things that you can use, because I LOVE to share!  Especially knowledge, because it costs me nothing, and I'm "frugal".

So, anyways, I need Coat Hooks in my entry hall, because I turned my coat closet into a pantry.  But, I'm a woman, and I cant just screw any old hooks and call it a day.  I have to go shopping to find the perfect piece.  And I did!!!  I found them at HomeGoods and spent too much money because I LOVED them!!  Then I got them home.
The Original Coat Hooks
Even though I love them, not only did Pitman hate them, but I decided the blue wouldn't work in my entry hall.  So, I could put blue into the items already present, or, I could make them match better.  So, I needed dark earth colors, black, and burgundy.  Ok.  I can do this!!!  So, I go into my CRAFT Room, and grab some paint.  I get a Dark Umber (brown), tan, and deep burgundy, and a paint brush.  Squares are common in the items that are already in the entry way, so I put the colors in a rectangular pattern around it.  And I hate it.

Original Attempt.... icky.
I put this step in here as a lesson to everyone.  If you don't at least TRY something, you'll never know what you can do.  And if, as you start, it doesn't look the way you want it, remember you are NOT DONE with it!!  And if you end up not liking it, ITS JUST PAINT!!!  If my next step doesn't work to my liking, I'll just paint the whole thing black and call it a day!!  BUT if I dont continue, we'll never know, right?  So I put it aside to dry for the rest of the day and I build cabinets.

I got them back out today after grocery shopping, and low & behold!!!!  they still looked like crap.  So, I grabbed the black paint, watered it down, put it on a little at a time then wiped it off and gave it an "Antique" finish.  Was it messy?  Yes, but it cleaned up.  Hint number 2.  Life is messy, let messy be fun!!!  And it all cleaned up.  But this is what we ended up with!!!



I am pretty sure I love it!!!  But, if I don't, I can always change the color.  So, if you go to a store and find the perfect thing... except...  SCREW the "except", get it, and personalize it!!!!  Yeah, a LOT of people probably bought the original hooks, but I'm the only one who has THIS in my house!!  Or at least I will after Pitman finally puts them up.  I'm done with trying to go through the cement to put things in the wall.  Which reminds me, I need to buy some Spackle....

No comments:

Post a Comment