Thursday, April 5, 2012

Everything Old is New Again!

From the beginning of time, people have always taken what is old and re-purposed them for further use.  This is an art form that was forgotten by current generations, but it re-surging once more.  But now they call it "Going Green".  It is a way of life that was instilled in me years ago.  I find it fun and challenging, and I jump at the chance to do it.  My favorite part in the "Sound of Music" is when she makes play clothes for the children out of old curtains.  Same for Scarlett and her new grand gown!!  This is an awesome outlook to have when you have an Autisic child who tends to get attached to items that are no longer needed.  Case in point:  When we lived in the rental in Liverpool, Cassie had her own bathroom that we decorated in polka dots.  She loved it.  It was cute.


When we were to move, though, we only had one bathroom, and I didn't want polka-dots.  She was upset until I told her I'd make her curtains for her new room using the shower curtain.  Wait!  Can you DO THAT? Hey, you need to learn that you can do anything you want to!!  Rules are for wusses!!!  I had originally planned to make curtains out of a sheet I had bought that matched her comforter.  So, I figured I'd put the sheet and the shower curtain together, and TA-DA!!!!!  We have CURTAINS!!!!


And she loved it.  But, polka dots and a striped bedspread?  Does it work?  I ask you, does it REALLY matter?  Seriously, if YOU like it, thats all that matters, right?  I like it, Cassie likes it, and I want to start a "But I  Like It" movement, and I'm starting with my house!!!  Oh, and what you dont see in this next picture is the fact that her top sheet is sewn to her bottom sheet.... kind of what you have with a waterbed.  Why do I have to sew her top sheet to her bottom sheet?  We found out that one of her sleeping problems was due to the fact she worried that her top sheet would come un-tucked in the night.  If you find that silly, you are probably not an OCD Autistic person with high anxiety levels.  But, as I always do, I fixed what I could, and it has really helped her!!  So, just remember.  Surround yourself with things you love, reinvent things you have, and for crying out loud, don't settle for the "But THEY say..." mentality!!!  If THEY were so great, they'd have real names!!  Who are THEY and how do THEY know what is best for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment