Friday, December 2, 2011

23 Days to Go.....

Let me preface this by apologizing if anyone is offended by today's post. It is adult in nature and may not be appropriate for children.

So, last night Pitman and I were having one of our customary deep conversations. We do this often. Communication is important in a marriage. So we were talking about Rudolph. Yes, the red-nosed reindeer. He said “Wasn't Rudolph the son of one of the other reindeer? Like Blitzen or something?” I told him I didn't remember, and that was according to the story. I added it didn't really matter because it was just a story because all the reindeer are female. He misunderstood me and said that they don't have antlers because its winter time. I really don't know what the hell he was saying. But I told him that female reindeer have antlers, and I was referring to the fact that in all the pictures, none of the reindeer have penises. Seriously, check it out. Its pretty sad.

But, we debated the antlers a bit. I told him that female elk have antlers, too. He said female elk don't have antlers. Well, I had MEANT to say moose. He said they don't either, and he doesn't know of any deer like female animal that has antlers. I said I would internet search it, but we had bigger problems. If female reindeer do NOT have antlers, and Santa's reindeer have antlers and penises, then Santa is driving around with a bunch of hermaphrodites. Rob said no, and he believes that they just had to be castrated to cut down on wind resistance....but only after Rudolph was born, of course. And, he reminded me, that would be very sad because, as Cassie has pointed out to us, penises are very special to the owner.

So I did my internet research and found the following:

According to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, while both male and female reindeer grow antlers in the summer each year (the only members of the deer family, Cervidae, to have females do so), male reindeer drop their antlers at the beginning of winter, usually late November to mid December. Female reindeer retain their antlers till after they give birth in the spring.
Therefore, according to every historical rendition depicting Santa's reindeer, every single one of them, from Rudolf to Blitzen ... had to be a female.”

Sorry, Pitman, I was right again... but thank you for the laughs!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment