Saturday, December 31, 2011

Goodbye and good riddance, 2011!!!

The Lake Store Counter
Yes, its New Years Eve.  I spent the day with my in-laws, celebrating the last of Christmas.  We went to "The Lake House", which my mother in law inherited from her parents last year.  Recently, though, she bought out her brother's interest in the property, so it is 100% hers.  She's very happy about this and the fact that one day it will be Rob's and then Cassie's.  They keep telling me I am a welcome guest.  We will leave it at that.  The most interesting part of the day was the trip home.  You see, I had to pee moments after we left "The Lake Store" where we stopped because the locals wanted to meet their son, and I had a cup of coffee.   "The Lake Store" has rabbit pelts for sale, maple sugar candy, authentic Native American jewelry made in China, Adirondack clothing, books, & souvenirs, hunting & fishing supplies, and food stuffs.  They have good coffee and you can get breakfast & lunch sandwiches and Schwan's Pizza.  But what they DON'T have is a bathroom.  I found out this is very common in the Adirondacks.


Holland Patent Stewarts Shop
We had to travel 2 1/2 hours back from Indian Lake (which may or may NOT be made with water from China) on dark, lightly traveled roads where we saw some very interesting ways of living.  Mansions, many houses with "Potential", and even one trailer which had a roof built over it.  We saw lots of lakes, lots of cabins, and about 437 billion snowmobile route signs.  We saw towns named Morehead, Russia, Ohio, Speculator, and many others.  We saw churches, a couple bars, and a ton of "Manly Toy Stores".  You know what we didn't find during our trip through the Adirondacks?  They have NO cell phone service or BATHROOMS!!!!!  We were on the road for an hour an a half before we hit heaven... or Holland Patent, where there was a Stewarts.  Not just ANY Stewarts, but the Stewarts with the CLEANEST BATHROOM I've ever seen!!!  As Cassie ran into the store, knocking down a little old lady and 2 young guys with snowmobile suits buying beer, and straight into the bathroom, with me close behind, I looked at the cashier and said "Do you know there are no bathrooms or cell service in the Adirondacks?"  She informed me, with a nice country smile "Yes, I know.  Its part of the Adirondack Experience."  Suddenly I have come up with the only excuse I will ever need not to take many trips to "The Lake House".  I have experienced the Adirondacks, and I think mountain life may not be for me.

Stephen & Me
Well, I was going to take this evening to run you through my 2011.  I've decided not to, because then I'll start crying.  Needless to say, this past year sucked really, REALLY bad.  2011 was definitely a vacuum kind of year.  But, there is never a time in our life where all you have is bad.  There is always a silver lining, whether you want one or not.  I've had a few.  My marriage is stronger than ever.  That is a HUGE one!!!  But I think the best thing about 2011 is that my baby boy, Stephen Allen Richards, achieved one of his dreams, and really kicked ass in doing so!!!  I'm proud of all my kids for different reasons.  But I am super proud of the obstacles he had to overcome to get to where he is!!  So, I will end 2011 with one of my favorite pictures!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment